Thursday 25 April 2013

Brian Adam

There is a well written obituary of Brian Adam here - http://local.stv.tv/aberdeen/news/222852-brian-adams-death-at-just-64-robs-scottish-politics-of-a-much-admired-man/

I would like to add that he was very helpful to my students during my time at Aberdeen (as were people like Richard Baker and Alex Johnstone). He was the sort of MSP who would always offer his services to give informal lectures, either at the University or in Holyrood. He would do so even when he knew he should be elsewhere (such as in the chamber to vote or persuade others to vote the right way).  He was refreshingly frank about the details of things like whipping, in a no nonsense, not particularly careful way. I think that students really appreciated it. He also gave about 8 of my students (as many as could cram into the lift) a decent story, by telling me that an article I wrote, about the SNP, in Holyrood Magazine, was "guff" before reminding me to get out of my ivory tower. It may have been a little bit uncomfortable at the time, but I bet that a lot of people will have a little giggle as they remember that sort of exchange with Brian.

1 comment:

  1. I was one of those students in the lift and I still laugh about that moment to this day! Was one of the many highlights of that trip to the Scottish Parliament.

    ReplyDelete